Join us for WVC’s free Fifth Annual Global Citizenship Conference on Friday 8 April 2016 starting at 8:30 AM in the Fox Center room 120. We will be discussing “Border Crossings: Identities and Cultures in Flux,” particularly as the topic relates to the current massive movements of refugees as they traverse the Mediterranean Sea in search of safety and stability, and particularly as the topic relates to the development of Muslim Feminism. The three invited guest speakers will address these guiding questions:
- How do global issues such as the Syrian refugee crisis resonate locally in our own communities?
- How do global issues such as Muslim women’s challenge of customs that deny them their basic rights resonate locally in our own communities?
- What exactly is the Syrian refugee crisis about?
- Who are Muslims and their faith?
- What does it mean for Muslim women to move Islam forward by reaching back to its progressive past?
- How can building our knowledge about these “glocal” issues impact our own communities?