Several WVC professors will be attending professional training in Study Abroad Program organization and practices during summer 2017.
Drs. Anna Brichko and Dulce María Gray will attend CIEE’s International Faculty Development Seminars “Best Practices for Creating Successful Faculty-Led Programs” at the Global Institute in Paris, France in July. This seminar’s objectives are to:
- Identify key components for a successful faculty-led program.
- Gain insight about how to build productive relationships between faculty and international education administrators.
- Develop and design holistic, thematic, or interdisciplinary short-term learning experiences.
- Discuss successful program promotion and outreach to potential participants.
- Critically assess strategies for encouraging diverse students to study abroad.
- Develop a detailed plan to deliver a short-term program that breaks down the barriers of cost, curriculum, and culture.
Karina Dundurs will participate in EF College Study Tours’ 11-day professors’ tour of Japan through Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Osaka where she will visit Himeji Castle, Miyajima Park, Itsukushima and Inari Taisha Shrines, the Peace Memorial Park and Museum, and various other significant locations that mark Japan as a microcosm of civilization. Her aim is to prepare, during June, for leading her own Business and Culture study tour of Japan during summer 2018.
Wendy Bowers-Gachesa will attend CIEE’s International Faculty Development Seminars “Grow Abroad: Enhancing Study Away Through Online Learning” in London, England during July. This seminar’s objectives are to:
- Experience cutting edge and experimental online learning tools for pre-departure orientation, assessment, and in-country support
- Connect with peers in a dynamic learning community
- Engage with academics, specialists, and developers of technology at the nexus of education and technology
- Explore critical concepts relating to technology in education
- Experiment with blended learning case studies in our laboratory/classroom, the CIEE Global Institute – London
- Assess the relative strengths and weaknesses of different online learning tools
- Create and present a proposed program redesign based on best practices in online learning and study abroad